ECaR - Bespoke support
ECaR Bespoke School to School Support
We offer tailored support for each individual school's needs. We have developed this in response to aid faster implementation of a whole school consistent approach for teaching Guided Reading.
Bespoke support is designed with each school through an initial consultation to identify agreed needs for School to School support. See examples of the support we offer below.
"Being able to implement things in school and see the massive impact has been so empowering."
Literacy Lead, Manchester
Full Day Training
£1000 - £1500 (maximum 20 attendees)
Half Day Training
£500 - £800 (maximum 20 attendees)
Two hour staff meeting
One hour staff meeting
All costs include initial consultation and planning. Full day training includes lunch and all training includes refreshments.
More details and booking
Please contact Stuart Stoneman for more details and to book ECaR bespoke support
0161 881 2158
Examples of whole school support
- observation of a range of Guided Reading lessons (including independent activities) in classrooms across primary phases
- observation of a Guided Reading lesson at the mirrored screen focused on the lesson structure, group objectives and individual progress, addressing children's differentiated needs
- focused support on establishing a consistent lesson structure for Guided Reading from Reception to Year 6
- Q&A session with classroom teachers and TAs
- planning a Guided Reading lesson using AfL
- developing questioning skills during the book introduction and return to text
- running record and Benchmark Kit reading assessment training
- developing the rigour of quality teaching and learning within the lesson structure to support progress of every child. A closer look at how a child learns to read and teaching decisions that impact progress through observation of a Reading Recovery lesson. To make links with useful principles from Reading Recovery and Guided Reading in the classroom e.g. links with support for the individual read and book introduction; identifying strengths in children's reading; specific teacher language; shaping specific feedback and teaching; approaches and materials etc
- recommendations for future school implementation and structures for in-house follow-up support to help embed Guided Reading
- TA training: similar to above but has also included observation of a TA-led Guided Reading lesson at the mirrored screen; Question Time with TAs; preparation for teaching Guided Reading lesson etc
Note: A wider range of settings have attended our other ECaR Events e.g. Non-ECaR schools, Special Schools, Special High Schools, High Schools, PRU, Universities, Teacher Leaders and Reading Recovery Teachers from different LAs etc.
Note: Staff INSETs have taken place at Barlow Hall to provide schools with the unique opportunity to observe a range of live lessons within classrooms and/or at the mirrored screen. Observation of live lessons has added to the rigour of the CPD we offer schools. Therefore, INSET days need to be booked when our children are in school.
The following dates are available for Bespoke training in 2015-2016:
15th October 2015; 23rd October 2015; 3rd February 2016; 12th February 2016; 17th May 2016; 8th June 2016.
In-house School to School support or Barlow Hall based support
Barlow Hall has an ECaR Team that has experience of supporting schools through various ECaR Events and in bespoke support for individual schools. The Team includes: Head Teacher, ECaR/ Reading Recover Teacher Leader, Specialist Leader of Education (SLE), Reading Recovery Teacher, Assistant Heads, Class Teachers and TAs.
There is an opportunity to commission specialist support to work in your individual school. Please contact Stuart Stoneman to discuss this further on 0161 881 2158 or firstname.lastname@example.org