Guided Reading in Reception
Impacting on Progress
Tue 22 Jan 2019 9.00am - 12.00pm
Tue 26 Feb 2019 9.00am - 12.00pm
|Barlow Hall Primary School||8 places available||£180.00|
Tue 30 Apr 2019 9.00am - 12.00pm
Tue 18 Jun 2019 9.00am - 12.00pm
|Barlow Hall Primary School||10 places available||£180.00|
We are delighted to introduce support specifically focusing on Guided Reading in Reception. We developed the sessions:
- in response to popular demand for quality support in improving teaching and learning in Guided Reading in Reception
- to give a deepened understanding about how young children learn to read
- to discuss our experiences of implementation and the influence of principles of Reading Recovery on teaching and learning during Guided Reading that have impacted on progress
Trainees attend two half-day sessions.
"This was an extremely well-planned, informative sesion. It was very useful and I thoroughly enjoyed it."
Reception teacher, Manchester
"There has been a huge impact already on reading and this is coming through in writing. Thank you so much!"
What you will learn
The sessions include:
- Observation of a live Guided Reading lesson (including independent activities) in the Reception classroom
- Introduction of the teaching of concepts about print and early book-handling skills
- Concepts about print assessment for learning
- Focused support on establishing consistent lesson structure
- Q&A session with class teacher
- Gap task based on lesson structure and concepts about print with follow-up discussion
- A closer look at children's reading behaviours and teaching decisions that impact on progress through observation of a Reading Recovery lesson, making links with Reading Recovery and Guided Reading
Who is it for?
Reception teachers and TAs, EYFS Leaders/co-ordinators, NQTs, Literacy Leads, Senior Leadership Teams, Headteachers.
About your course leader
Fiona Botterill is a Teacher Leader for Reading Recovery. Her specialism is in designing bespoke school improvement packages for all aspects of literacy. Fiona can train new Reading Recovery teachers and provide continuing professional programmes for existing Reading Recovery teachers so that they can maintain their licence for Reading Recovery.